- Queen Victoria is our monarch
- The Melbourne Cup has its third run
- No Royal Exhibition Buildings or Melbourne Town Hall have been built
- The American Civil War is raging in Gettysburg Pennsylvania
and ‘THE LEINSTER ARMS HOTEL’- OPENS ITS DOORS
150 Years ago.
Margaret Gifford receives the hotel’s first licence for the only SINGLE STORY pub in Melbourne at that time.
A stalwart of the Collingwood people up to this day, the pub has a checkered and colourful history.
Melbourne business identity, John Wren, was born within ‘spitting’ distance of the pub in 1871 and lived there until his marriage in 1901.
‘Squizzy’ Taylor was a regular in his day when the pub’s façade was of bluestone and the hotel struck up its long relationship with the ‘Local Football Club’.
The hotel has never been delicensed and with the renovations of 1930, the new red bricks were added, together with new stained glass windows – copied from The Leinster Arms in Ireland – to suit the fashion of the day. A small temporary bar was established to keep the locals happy and well refreshed.
Archbishop Mannix would call in and discuss the faith with the mainly Irish Catholic patrons.
The surrounding area is steeped in history, a history that continues to the present day.
There is a document inside the Hotel showing an old map, “Collingwood’s Pubs”.
Sadly today, because of high land prices, many of these historic buildings have been demolished or made way for development.
THE LEINSTER ARMS HOTEL STILL SERVES THE PEOPLE OF COLLINGWOOD
and surrounding areas.
Join in our celebrations – There are a lot more to come…..